Thursday, April 3, 2014

Can you Crochet?

Yes but I prefer to knit. 

Crocheting is a hobby/craft that I do on rare occasions.  I don't dislike it but it's more free flowing and I'm a structure kind of girl. Or maybe I'm free flowing and just don't like the waves in the scarves I have made.

So what is crocheting?

It is the process of using a hook and thread/yarn to create fabric. Usually a scarf, blanket, or clothes.

What is needed?

You will need a hook, yarn, and instructions on what you want to make.
Amigurumi is the Japanese art of crocheting little creatures.
 
 
How do you do it?
It's a mystery..... Just kidding.  It does take some practice.  I will explain the steps but if you ever ask me to teach you in person, I am mean.  I taught my nephew (yes boys/men do crafts) and I would teach him and undo it.  The process was to make sure he could do it from beginning to end without my help.  He didn't like that I undid his work but I was teaching. (Good thing I didn't become a teacher....I would have been one of those that looks at your paper tosses it in the trash because a word was misspelled.  Oh wait that's where I learned my teaching skills.)
 
So first you begin with a slip knot.

 
 



Then a chain:

 
 
 
Then you work your way back in the chain.
 
Double Crochet 

This is an example of a double crochet, single crochet, and slip.





Trust me it is easier to learn hands on than through pictures.  But if you want to be a closet hooker...I mean closet crocheter YouTube is the best place to listen and look at directions.


 

4 comments:

  1. I don't crochet. I don't knit. My mother did both and she made some beautiful things. I didn't inherit her creativity. Nor did I want to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone. I was the only one out of 6 grandkids that wanted to spend time with my grandmother and she would teach me. We also stayed up late and watched Zorro. My mom still crochets. I am sure I will begin again when the bug bites.

      Delete
  2. Love the ecard at the end and the new theme is pretty. I like it. Also, do your nails or remove the old polish.... people are looking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the glitter came off while throwing clay. I was going to do grey but I didn't want to copy you haha.

      Delete